Monday, July 14, 2008

The Downieville Classic is my favorite holiday.

It's better than Christmas. It's better than the Fourth of July. And I know it's not technically a "real" holiday, but it feels like one. ;)

I had SO MUCH FUN as a volunteer at this year's race weekend. I got free food, free beer, free camping, a bear came right up to my tent and sniffed it -- while I was in it! -- in the middle of the night, I got to see all my friends cross the finish line (as I was tearing finish tags), I met so many nice people, saw The Saddle Tramps (since I didn't have to go to bed early cuz I wasn't racing), watched the River Jump competition (judged by celebrity bike people like Wade Simmons)...

AND... I won this in a raffle:


a $450 RockShox RVLATN -- a sweet fork that has over an inch more travel than my current Fox Float 100.

Downieville rocks! If I don't race it next year, I'm definitely going to volunteer again. Either way, I'm hooked on this race for life.

1 comment:

The Longs said...

That's totally freaked out that a bear sniffed your tent! I would have been scared to death!
--Jenn