Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Bon Fete Canada

Happy Canada Day everybody. I just placed fourth in the Ottawa Canada Day 10K with a time of 33:52. Not bad for my first 10K in approximately eight years. Top three athletes won prize money, though. :( I blame Dad for the fact that I wasn't in the top three, actually. He always tells me, "Take it easy during the first half of the race and then speed up toward [ew, twordz!] the end." So I did that this time - I let the frontrunners take off and I layed back a little. I should have gone with them.

Oh well. I'll know for next time.

Today Canada goes absolutely insane, especially in Ottawa. There is standing room only in the streets. There are major music artists playing free concerts. To eat, you have your choice of burgers and um... burgers. To drink, you have your choice of booze, hooch, or liquid courage. One day a year, everyone in the entire country turns bright red and smiles and says, "I love you, man". A lot. A LOT.

Wish you were here. Marian also wishes you were here. Come up for a visit soon.

-- Ryan

2 comments:

The Longs said...

Awesome!! I had so much fun up there with you last year. Canada Day rocks. Good job in the 10K. Now go get yerself some hooch.

Steph

Geogirl said...

Wish I could come up too! Maybe next Canada Day! Is it very "kid friendly" though? Yup, gotta keep THAT in mind now! doh! Have fun!