Monday, January 30, 2012

Remember these photos...

These are the "before" photos of my master bedroom. Remember them well, because I am in the middle of a bedroom re-do that will knock you socks off.


My master bedroom is actually pretty awesome, functionality-wise. The high east-facing windows let in the early morning sunshine. The big west-facing windows look out into my back yard. I'm a big fan of sunshine and heat, so having west-facing windows in and of itself is a plus, to me. However, these windows are also offset by my home's large roof overhangs. This keeps a lot of direct sun off the windows in a passive-solar way.


The best part about the windows is watching the thunderstorms as I lay in bed. The room is truly a pleasure to sleep in. But it has some serious cosmetic issues.

Issue #1: That godawful carpet. Seriously?? No one should have to walk on that. It looks like something rejected by a public school. I'm getting rid of it and instead getting stain-resistant white. Yes, white. I don't have kids, I don't drink coffee in my bedroom; I'm an adult and I'm pretty sure I can handle white carpet. Nay-sayers, begone!

Issue #2: The blinds. They're in great shape, actually, but they aren't very bedroomy. More like 1980's attorney office. They must go.

Issue #3: Walls. The window wall frame is due for a repainting, the brick wall needs a good scrubbing, and all that lucious, honey-warm wood needs some refinishing.

Issue #4: The ceiling. It's fiberboard tile, and while I'm relieved it's not asbestos, it's still nausea-inducing. So out it goes, traded up for a smooth-finish drywall ceiling (none of that tape-and-texture here!) and a brand new ceiling fan. I've already mentally chosen the one I want from Lowe's.

Issue #5: The closet. It's huge, so I keep all kinds of stuff in there: skis, golf clubs, mountain bike gear, my faux xmas tree... And that's fine, but what would make it better? A custom built-in, complete with shoe rack, cute hooks, and a cubby for Miss Tim to sleep in.


Issue #6 is the fun part: decor. Window treatments, furniture, bedding, rugs, artwork and flowers. :)

So let the fun begin! I'm probably not going to post "during" pics, but I'll be sure to show off the after. This is my big indoor project for 2012 (barring any other unforeseen catastrophes, fingers crossed!) and what's most exciting to me about it is that it's 100% voluntary. That is, until now, my big projects have been must-dos: replace the thermostat, repair the chimney, replace the roof, retrofit the windows, insulate and drywall, major yard clean-up. But this is purely a gift to myself: a luxe bedroom retreat that I want and deserve.

Happy renovating!

No comments: